The Poldi Pezzoli Museum opened in 1881, two years after the death of its founder, the nobleman Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli (Milan 1822-1879), one of the most enlightened art collectors of his days. His is one of the first and most successful examples of historicism in Europe. Each room was inspired by a style from the past, and hosted an exceptional selection of antique art and decorative arts. Arms, glass, clocks, porcelain, carpets and tapestries, furniture and works in precious metals, paintings and sculptures from the 14th to the 19th century, all intermingled to create an extraordinary and ensemble donated ‘for public use and benefit’. During the Second World War, in1943, the bombs destroyed most of the house’s interior decoration. Today, alongside the surviving historic rooms that have been restored to evoke the collector’s house, new rooms and exhibits, such as the Armory designed by Arnaldo Pomodoro, can be visited..